Update: The most recent faux pas by JC Penny where the innocuous tea kettle resembles Hitler is just one example of a reputation management nightmare. This on top of their already stumbling perception.
Take the last "gaff" by BP - do you think they will be worried about how the world perceives them? You bet! And one way they will manage those thoughts will be to have a positive online campaign highlighting all the good things about their company.
Have you seen this ad from Toyota? You can see how this is part of their grand scheme of managing their company reputation in light of the Prius problems. The really drives home the safe for your family while adding a catchy beat and rap.
Okay so what can you do to manage your online reputation? Here are a few ideas:
- Post customer comments on your site and make it easy to see them.
- Have an online "newsroom" for press releases and positive media attention.
- Write up "case studies" of projects that had positive outcomes and post those on the site, make available for pdf download
- Re-write the case studies as "how to" articles to post on article websites.
- Use social media to broadcast your press releases, case studies and articles.