I've been doing a lot of competitor searches for clients lately and I've come across websites that just . . . make you want to go "hmmmm . . ." Thought I would share a few of these with you to serve as reminders that your website is being visited by real people. Do Unto Others - right?
- Why does a butcher shop need a photo gallery? I'm just sayin'
- It's called website DESIGN for a reason - no need to cause your visitor to have a seizure with bright flashing colors that force you to look away. That's the worst of the many undesirable design techniques in use.
- How does a customer contact you when there is no phone number at all, no address, nothing on the website?
- Is it really necessary to launch music whenever a visitor comes to your site - without asking them first? Can you say "send me the earplugs please!"
- Why would a company want to use images for normal text instead of just straight text? Search engines like plain text better.
- Are we still assuming that EVERYONE is using the same browser? Internet Explorer, FireFox, Chrome, Safari - guess they don't care if the website is completely destroyed in IE6 or doesn't function in Chrome.
- What is with the small fonts? Maybe they don't expect that anyone would want to read the text so it doesn't matter . . .
- And what is with the light gray text on white backgrounds? Better hope that the visitor's screens are set to high contrast or they see nothing.